Mittwoch, 17. Juni 2020

Barbara Dane - I Hate The Capitalist System




"Barbara Dane - I Hate The Capitalist System

I hate the capitalist system
and I´ll tell you the reason why
it has caused me so much suffering
and my dearest friends to die
well I know you all are wondering
what it has done to me
well I am going to tell you
that my husband has tb
brought on by hardworking lowwages
and never enough to eat
from going cold and hungry
with no shoes upon his feet
my husband was a coalminer who worked hard and risked his life
just tryin to support three children
himself, his mother and wife

well I had a blueyedbaby
was a darling of my heart
but from my little darling the mother had to part
why the rich and mighty capitalists
goes to rest in jewels and silk
my darling blueeyed baby has died for the wondermill

well they call this the land of plenty
and for them I guess its true
for the rich and mighty capitalists
not for workers like me and you
well now what can we do about it
to these men of power and might
well I'll tell you mister capitalist
we are going to fight, fight, fight!"


"I Hate The Capitalist System" is an excellent collection of political songs about the plight of the working man and woman originally issued on Barbara's own Paredon label in 1973.

The songs range from the 30s to the 70s and songs from the repertoire of older singers like Sarah Ogan Gunning (the powerful title song) and Woody Guthrie (Plane Wreck At Los Gatos / Deportees / Ludlow Massacre) along with writers from the 60s and 70s like Malvina Reynolds, Jack Warshaw (the fierce Kent State Massacre) and Jane Felczer. There are also a couple of traditional songs, Barbara's rewrite of the 1954 blues by J.B. Hutto Things Are So Slow and her reworking of a song from Vietnamese singer Xuan Hong.

The arrangements are as varied as the selection ranging from an acapella vocal to a small band. Although originally issued nearly 40 years ago much of what is sung about here is just as true today as it was then. 


Tracklist:

101 I Hate the Capitalist System  3:16
102 Lonesome Jailhouse Blues  4:12
103 Detroit Medley  2:38
104 Deportees (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)  5:47
105 Goodbye to Cold Winter 0:52
106 A Single Girl  2:31
107 Ludlow Massacre 3:58
108 I Don't Want Your Millions, Mister  3:33
201 Things are Slow 4:17
202 Song of My Hands 5:47
203 Bitter Rain 3:37
204 Song of the Coats 2:52
205 The Kent State Massacre 3:43
206 Working Class Woman 6:26

Barbara Dane - I Hate The Capitalist System
(256 kbps, cover art included)

10 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Any chance of a re-up?

zero hat gesagt…

Here it is... Greetings!

-Otto- hat gesagt…

I had this one a looong time ago. I remember that, in her own words, she DOES want the Mister's millions. I sympathize with that.

Kostas from Piraeus hat gesagt…

Many, many thanks...
Be good!!!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Great! Worth having for the title track alone. Many thanks for the re-up!

Anonym hat gesagt…

any possibility to reupload
Heiner Goebbels & Alfred Harth - Hommage - Vier Fäuste für Hanns Eisler (1977)
this rare gem?
thanks
Alex in Solex

Feilimid O'Broin hat gesagt…

Although I have long been a fan of folk music and have a decent collection of folk music, I had not heard Barbara Dane's music before you posted it here. She no longer gets airplay here in the United States and it is a shame because she is so good and what she has to say is so important. Thank you for the introduction and ongoing posting of her music.

I agree with you about the relevance of the songs to today's events. I had not heard Woody Guthrie's 'Deportees' until several years ago and was surprised when I learned that Guthrie wrote it. I had though the lyrics were so contemporary that it had only recently been written. Then again I can only think of a few contemporary major artists, like Ani DiFranco and Bruce Springsteen, who sing political and protests songs and have recording contracts here. Even DiFranco doesn't get much airplay and we lose perspective and history because of the silence. Again, thanks.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Thank you so much!

zero hat gesagt…

Thanks a lot for your comments! Alex, i hope to find the Goebbels-Harth-file, then i will reup it. Will take some time...

Feilimid, it´s the same here in Europe: there were and are many political artists, but they don´t get any airplay or support. So we loose a lot of important experiences and knowledge about history and about future possibilities.

One thing i really enjoy in the blog-world: there is so much interesting music out there and having the chance to get in touch with it and learn about the artists and their history is wonderful. Greetings!

Bluesercher hat gesagt…

Hi zero.

Great thanks for this Barbara album.
Thank you very, very much... :-)
Regards

Kommentar veröffentlichen