Samstag, 29. Mai 2021

Country Joe McDonald - Vietnam Experience (1986)

A thematic record revolving around 12 anti-Vietnam War songs recorded by McDonald through the years and accompanied by a fleet of musicians.

The blues figure in heavily: "Foreign Policy Blues" and "Mourning Blues" are standard-issue traditional form, but the latter is breathtaking in its emotional delivery. A re-recorded version of "I-Feel-Like-I'm Fixin'-To-Die Rag" takes a great song and makes it even better; "Kiss My Ass" is a bitter indictment disguised by a rollicking melody.

McDonald's myopic tack has not served him commercially, but his remembrance of the pain of war for those who served and those at home has been an estimable, artistic raison d'etre for three decades (though the 27-minute instrumental "Vietnam Requiem Part I" might be an argument for overkill).


Tracklist:


1 I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag
2 Foreign Policy Blues
3 Agent Orange Song
4 The Girl Next Door (Combat Nurse)
5 Kiss My Ass
6 Secret Agent
7 Vietnam Veteran Still Alive
8 Vietnam Never Again
9 Mourning Blues
10 Welcome Home
11 Vietnam Requiem Part I: The Beginning
12 Vietnam Requiem Part II: The End


Country Joe McDonald - Vietnam Experience (1986)
(320 kbps, cover art included)

4 Kommentare:

Bob Mac hat gesagt…

Thanks for this, never seen it before.

zero hat gesagt…

...was released on a small German label. You are welcome!

George hat gesagt…

Wow, first time I ever become aware of this album - thank you for posting!

zero hat gesagt…

Hope you enjoy it! Best wishes!

Kommentar veröffentlichen