Samstag, 7. Oktober 2023

Dave Van Ronk - Gambler´s Blues (1965)


Guitarist, singer, songwriter, and native New Yorker Dave Van Ronk inspired, aided, and promoted the careers of numerous singer/songwriters who came up in the blues tradition.



"Not infrequently I am taken to task for the manner in which I approach my material," folk singer and guitar player Dave Van Ronk (1936-2002) wrote in the liner notes to Ballads, Blues, and a Spiritual. A white New Yorker singing traditional Southern black songs, he distinguished himself from others who adopted this repertoire by imitating the way he heard black musicians perform. "Although I can appreciate the ‘white approach’ to Negro folksongs and enjoy the work of many of its adherents, I still reserve the right to sing these songs in the style to which I am accustomed, partly because of habit, and partly, I confess, because I feel that my way is the ‘right way'."

Tracklist:

A1 Duncan And Brady 2:50
A2 Black Mountain Blues 3:50
A3 In The Pines 3:05
A4 My Baby's So Sweet 2:30
A5 Twelve Gates To The City 3:10
A6 Winin' Boy Blues 2:30
A7 If You Leave Me Pretty Momma 3:05
B1 Backwater Blues 3:99
B2 Careless Love 2:55
B3 Betty And Dupree 3:34
B4 K.C. Moan 2:56
B5 Gambler's Blues 2:25
B6 John Henry 2:24
B7 How Long 3:45


Dave Van Ronk - Gambler´s Blues (1965)
(192 kbps, cover art included)

3 Kommentare:

jjeconomist hat gesagt…

Thank you

Erwin hat gesagt…

Thank you very much for this one. But I have also a request. While browsing this wonderful blog, I discovered some gems of German Cabaret. Is there a possibility of a reprise of Grethe Weiser "20 rare chansons" and possibly Max Hansen "Perlen der Kleinkunst" I would be very grateful.

zero hat gesagt…

Thanks, Erwin. I will reup Grethe Weiser and Max Hansen in the next days. Best wishes!

Kommentar veröffentlichen