Freitag, 11. September 2020

Barbara Dane - On My Way (1962)

Barbara Dane (1927) started her musical career in folk music and traditional jazz circles in the mid Forties, first in her native Detroit and then in San Francisco, where in 1954 she came into contact with some local jazz revivalists, including trombonist Bob Mielke and banjo player Dick Oxtot. During her high school years, she had received training as an operatic contralto, but Mielke and Oxtot encouraged her to probe further into the blues with their band, the Bearcats.

From the time she first stirred interest among aficionados and critics in San Francisco, she developed into virtually the only white singer of classic blues at the time.

"On My Way" (1962) presents a different side of Miss Danes expressiveness: a deep and fervent spirituality as fundamental as her blues. Her accompanying group included pianist and cornet player Kenny Whitson, whose performancesimultaneously in both instrumentsis astonishing, particularly on cornet. Barbara Dane is more than a singer, she is also a guitarist, passionately dedicated researcher, friend of forgotten pioneers, and sponsor of unpopular causes.

Tracklist:

Barbare Dane - On My Way (The Original Album)
1–Barbara DaneTake It Slow And Easy
2–Barbara DaneI'm On My Way
3–Barbara DaneDraggin' My Heart Around
4–Barbara DaneCrazy Blues
5–Barbara DaneGoodby Daddy Goodby
6–Barbara DaneCake Walking Babies From Home
7–Barbara DaneWild Women Don't Have The Blues
8–Barbara DaneThis Little Light Of Mine
9–Barbara DaneHurry Up Sundown Let Tomorrow Come
10–Barbara DaneThe Hammer Song
11–Barbara DaneMama Don't Allow No Twistin'
The Northern Soul Single Version
12–Barbara DaneI'm On My Way
Early Barbare Dane - George Lewis With Dick Oxtot's Traditional Jazz Quartet
13–George Lewis The Glory Of Love
14–George LewisGood Morning Blues
From 'Trouble In Mind'
15–Barbara DaneTrouble In Mind
16–Barbara DaneAin't Nobody Got The Blues Like Me

17–Barbara DaneHow Long Blues
From 'When I Was A Young Girl'
18–Barbara DaneWhen I Was A Young Girl
From 'Livin' With The Blues'
19–Barbara DaneIn The Evenin' (When The Sun Goes Down)
20–Barbara DaneSince I Fell For You
From 'When I Was A Young Girl'
21–Barbara DaneGirl Of Constant Sorrow
22–Barbara DaneI Know Where I'm Going
23–Barbara DaneDon't Sing Love Songs
Live With The Firehouse Fice/Louis Armstrong/ As Featured In Hitchcock's 'Captive Audience'/With The Firehouse Five
24–Barbara Dane  Old Fashioned Love/I'm On My Way/Goodbye Daddy Goodbye/Ain't Nobody Got The Blues Like Me


Barbara Dane - On My Way (1962)
(320 kbps, cover art included)

5 Kommentare:

muddyw123 hat gesagt…

New to me. Thank you!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Thank you so much. And also for Paul Robeson's album 'Songs of struggle' anothe timeless singer.

Wolfgang

zero hat gesagt…

Always welcome!

JonCow hat gesagt…

Thank you for posting When the Sun Goes Down, Vol 2 - great album, so I began to look for volume 1 and Zippyshare says the link is dead. Any chance of re-upping it?
Thanks,

zero hat gesagt…

I will reup it in the next hours. All the best!

Kommentar veröffentlichen